Tuesday, June 28, 2011


I see thee with the crown, the sceptre and the discus; a blaze of splendour. Scarce can
I gaze on thee, so radiant thou art, glowing like the blazing fire, brilliant as the sun,
immeasurable.


Imperishable art Thou, the Sole One worthy to be known, the priceless Treasure-house of
the universe, the immortal Guardian of the Life Eternal, the Spirit Everlasting.


Without beginning, without middle and without end, infinite in power, Thine arms all-
embracing, the sun and moon Thine eyes, Thy face beaming with the fire of sacrifice,
flooding the whole universe with light.


Alone thou fillest all the quarters of the sky, earth and heaven, and the regions between.
O Almighty Lord! Seeing Thy marvellous and awe-inspiring Form, the spheres tremble
with fear.


The troops of celestial beings enter into Thee, some invoking Thee in fear, with folded
palms; the Great Seers and Adepts sing hymns to Thy Glory, saying `All Hail.’


The Vital Forces, the Major stars, Fire, Earth, Air, Sky, Sun, Heaven, Moon and Planets; the
Angels, the Guardians of the Universe, the divine Healers, the Winds, the Fathers, the
Heavenly Singers; and hosts of Mammon-worshippers, demons as well as saints, are
amazed.


Seeing Thy stupendous Form, O Most Mighty, with its myriad faces, its innumerable eyes
and limbs and terrible jaws, I myself and all the worlds are overwhelmed with awe.


When I see Thee, touching the Heavens, glowing with colour, with open mouth and wide
open fiery eyes, I am terrified. O My Lord! My courage and peace of mind desert me.


When I see Thy mouths with their fearful jaws like glowing fires at the dissolution of
creation, I lose all sense of place; I find no rest. Be merciful, O Lord in whom this universe
abides!


All these sons of Dhritarashtra, with the hosts of princes, Bheeshma, Drona and Karna, as
well as the other warrior chiefs belonging to our side;


I see them all rushing headlong into Thy mouths, with terrible tusks, horrible to behold.
Some are mangled between thy jaws, with their heads crushed to atoms.


As rivers in flood surge furiously to the ocean, so these heroes, the greatest among men,
fling themselves into Thy flaming mouths.


As moths fly impetuously to the flame only to be killed, so these men rush into Thy
mouths to court their own destruction.


Thou seemest to swallow up the worlds, to lap them in flame. Thy glory fills the universe.
Thy fierce rays beat down upon it irresistibly.


Tell me then who Thou art, that wearest this dreadful Form? I bow before Thee, O Mighty
One! Have mercy, I pray, and let me see Thee as Thou wert at first. I do not know what
Thou intendest.

No comments:

Post a Comment